OpManager: A single console to manage your complete IT infrastructure. Click here for a 30-day free trial.
Welcome Guest | Sign In
LinuxInsider.com
Discussions

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Gnash is a Flash replacement that works in 64-bit

See Full Story

It was a good week for Linux last week, as it began its 18th year with two significant coups. Generating the most excitement, perhaps, was the long-awaited release on Wednesday of Adobe Flash Player 10, now available -- for the first time ever -- in a variety of convenient packaging formats for Linux. Finally, a seat at the table! "It is great to see Adobe taking this step, which should make it easier on new Linux users," wrote Thomas Teisberg on the Linux Loop.

Flash in linux??
Posted by: shinobi59 2009-05-16 21:54:24 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
Flash working in Linux (ROFL)! It used to load automatically in linux with firefox. It no longer works.

Flash used to work in Linux. I have been trying unsuccessfully for about 4 weeks now to get this functional. I have come across post after post concerning flash not working in Linux.

And then I read this on Adobe's site??

Update: Furthering Adobe's commitment to the Linux community and as part of ongoing efforts to ensure the cross-platform compatibility of Flash Player, an alpha refresh of 64-bit Adobe Flash Player 10 for Linux operating systems was released on 2/24/09 and is available for download. This offers easier, native installation on 64-bit Linux distributions and removes the need for 32-bit emulation. Learn more by reading the 64-bit Flash Player 10 FAQ.

Commitment to what -- a non-working version of flashplayer?

If anyone out there has any solution as to how to get flash working under linux again (it used to work) I'd appreciate some feedback.

Gnash is a Flash replacement that works in 64-bit
Posted by: perspectoff 2008-10-20 13:54:45 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
I have been using Gnash, which is the open-source replacement for the Flashplayer, in both 32-bit and 64-bit installations of (K)Ubuntu for several weeks.

Although it is advertised as not being able to play all Flashplayer content, there is nothing so far that I haven't been able to load.

I watch Hulu and YouTube with it, and have not had any problems.

So, even though Adobe is "late to the party", the Linux community has already taken things into their own hands, as usual.

Linux is "can do!" Try Gnash, the alternative to Flashplayer.
Jump to:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ RSS
Tech News Alerts from ECT News Network