Welcome Guest | Sign In
LinuxInsider.com

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Here's the deal

Re: Corporate IT Needs to Embrace the Spirit of Open Source
Posted by: Elbert Hannah 2010-12-05 20:24:17
See Full Story

So, does your company do open source? Really? I'm not talking about using open source. I'm asking if your company takes open source philosophy to heart by walking the walk. I doubt there's any decent- sized company that doesn't use open source. But how many do open source in a business setting? Does your company *do* open source, like, within? Where you work, is there a place you can go -- a repository you can browse where you can look at company code and freely use it for your own (corporate, of course) purposes?

Here's the deal
Posted by: aoeu 2010-12-05 20:29:14 In reply to: Elbert Hannah
Some big companies get the "willies" about open-source because they don't have to pay for it. Albeit, it might be in their best interests to pay for support, but there's a psychological stigma of "free must be crap". I just continue to implement bullet-proof solutions with open-source options and once it's running great and all the C levels think it's been all there capital savvy decisions, I reveal it's off the shelf and more or less free.
Jump to:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ RSS
Content Marketing on ALL EC
How does the tech industry compare to other industries when it comes to diversity?
Tech firms have been working much harder than others to achieve diversity.
Tech is rife with sexism, racism, homophobia and other forms of discrimination.
The tech industry would be more inclusive if there were more qualified applicants.
Tech firms have made superficial efforts but they're mainly for show.
The push for diversity is a cultural fad, and there is no real problem.