Welcome Guest | Sign In
LinuxInsider.com

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: Linaro, ARM and the Road to Total Linux Domination

Re: Linaro, ARM and the Road to Total Linux Domination
Posted by: Katherine Noyes 2012-11-08 16:46:39
See Full Story

Well it seems like the dust may finally be settling here in the Linux blogosphere, and Linux Girl is fervently hoping for some long-overdue rest. We endured the launch of Rectangle with Rounded Corners 5; we patiently listened to the endless blaring fanfare surrounding Windows 8's debut. Is there no end to the autumnal excitement? Now, more than a few Linux geeks are surely thinking, it's time to get back to life. Linux Girl couldn't agree more, which is why she was so happy to come upon word of Linaro's Linux-on-ARM project.

Re: Linaro, ARM and the Road to Total Linux Domination
Posted by: hairyfeet 2012-11-09 12:31:17 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
Anyone who thinks ARM is gonna take on Intel in the server and desktop roles? i have some magic beans you might be interested in. in fact i honestly would not be surprised if the only place you find ARM on phones and tablets in 3 years is the low end stuff, and it all comes down to IPC or instructions per second. Intel is so far ahead of everyone, including AMD, when it comes to IPC it isn't even funny, which is why they are working on PPW or performance per watt.

Look up the features that are coming in the next Atom chip and you'll see Intel is really ahead of the game, we are talking first gen Core performance in a chip that uses less than 6w under load! Not only that but they have come up with a new way to save power called "active sleep" where the chip will turn off its higher functions while still allowing you to, oh say take incoming calls or send and receive SMS while having the chip for all intents and purposes be asleep.

So while i think competition is great I'm also a realist and looking at the numbers its really Intel's game to lose.
Jump to:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ RSS
What is the most consequential impact of social media on society today?
It has opened up valuable new channels for civil discourse.
It has destroyed the meaning of "truth" and "fact."
It has made people stronger by facilitating grass roots activism.
It has deepened divisions among groups with opposing views.
It has made it easier for people to support and help each other.
It has made it easier for people to humiliate and hurt each other.