Welcome Guest | Sign In
LinuxInsider.com

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: Linus, Sarah and the Linux Civil Code

Re: Linus, Sarah and the Linux Civil Code
Posted by: Katherine Noyes 2013-07-22 09:18:05
See Full Story

Anyone who has ever spent five minutes in the Linux blogosphere is probably already well-aware of Linux creator Linus Torvalds' propensity for speaking his mind in the plainest of terms. It was just slightly more than a year ago, after all, that he dropped an
"F-bomb" on Nvidia, though that's by no means been the only example over the years. Well, Torvalds is surely no stranger to criticism for his blunt approach, but recently an example arose to make that disapproval more clear than ever.

Posted by: tylerzambori 2015-01-02 21:34:37 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
I know who could go into Linus' house and re-arrange his furniture without asking: The State of California:

http://www.hreonline.com/HRE/view/story.jhtml?id=534358080

They have just enacted anti-bullying legislation.
So now Sarah and other Linux developers can go to the Linux Foundation and bring up the new legislation!

The Linux Foundation has an office in San Francisco! And he does work for them as a manager. He might be under a freelance contract, but the Linux Foundation would still be responsible if he destroys someone's life by giving them post-traumatic stress disorder, or even causing their suicide.

And yes, bullying in the workplace can do that. Time to get educated people!

Posted by: ioconnor 2013-07-22 11:40:29 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
Here come the moral majority standardizing life. Doing it for the children no doubt.

I for one welcome uniqueness and character.

Posted by: ioconnor 2013-07-26 13:07:34 In reply to: ioconnor
The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Seems Emerson would have something more pointed to say about people telling Linus what is politically correct.

Posted by: hairyfeet 2013-07-26 10:41:41 In reply to: ioconnor
To steal a line from Mel Brooks "Bullshit bullshit aaaaannnnddd bullshit".

This at the heart has NOTHING to do with language, hell i know people that drop F-bombs like other people use the word "and" and they are some of the easiest to get along with, most fun to be with people you'd ever meet, No this is NOT about that, at its heart it has to do with the fact that Linus Torvalds is an arrogant ass, plain and simple.

Its called being a PROFESSIONAL and Torvalds acts like a 14 year old halo player, anybody who DARES not to do things HIS way or agree with him? here comes the temper tantrum. Ya know I may hate the living hell out of RMS as i think he is one of the biggest hypocrites that ever drew a breath but at least i can give credit where credit is due and when he has a disagreement, no matter how heated? he acts like a professional.

You can use coarse language and not be a douchebag about it, just look at this post for an example but that is NOT what Torvalds does, he uses it to belittle, to insult, and to act like a spoiled damned brat who thinks he is smarter than everybody. Grow the hell up Torvalds, and learn how to have an argument without becoming a giant ass.

Posted by: ioconnor 2013-07-26 11:20:51 In reply to: hairyfeet
Well then you are welcome to go elsewhere and stay the !@#$% away from Linus. He runs his kernel the way he wants and that is good. In all the flare ups over the years I have yet to not smile and think "good, damn glad he takes it the way he does".

RMS may be a bit quick and jump on an assumption before hearing the whole story but his heart is in the right place. So you may "hate the living hell out of him" but you can count me on the other side. RMS is the moral compass that remains steady and true. Our world would be a much better place if more people listened to RMS.

Linus works on a very important subject. There are a lot of people who do substandard work. Or attempt to throw a monkey wrench into the kernel while maintaining they are doing something good. Thankfully Linus takes it personally.

If you want a cause to emotionally charge you then go after Steve Jobs. He was everything you accuse Linus of and much much more.

Posted by: hairyfeet 2013-07-26 15:28:51 In reply to: ioconnor
"All hail dear leader for he is never wrong!" you DO know that is EXACTLY what you sound like yes, that because "Dear Leader" works on your religion of choice he can do know wrong?

But I hate to break the news to ya Sparky but Torvalds isn't the only OS designer out there and ya know what? the others don't act like spoiled 14 year old who was just told they couldn't have the new playstation. Its called being a pro.

I think I'll steal a line from RMS "I won't be glad when he's dead but I'll be glad when he's gone" and I think that pretty much sums up how I feel about Torvalds, FOSS would be a better place without his temper tantrums and bad attitude.

Posted by: ioconnor 2013-07-26 16:11:55 In reply to: hairyfeet
You do seem to have something against RMS. It keeps you posting all over the internet.

Was there a particular event that led you to start this personal war against the two of them?

I'm going to stop at this point because though I like the two of them I don't have the religion you do.

Posted by: hairyfeet 2013-07-27 10:02:11 In reply to: ioconnor
Uhhh...he is a giant hypocrite? When asked how coders were supposed to survive while having their work endlessly copied with zero compensation he said, and I quote, that "they should sell documentation" and guess what happens when the coders stop releasing their documents as GPL, the ONLY way to do what RMS advised? he says "Documentation wants to be free!"..hypocrite.

He seems to have NO problem taking money from those involved in market riging like Intel, doesn't have a bad word to say about CEOs or lawyers, no the ONLY ones that are supposed to work for free in his little utopia is coders and that IS bullshit. Its a shame I can't post links here as i could give you a mountain of citations when it comes to RMS, at first I thought he was just an old fashioned communist "fellow traveler" but now I think he just hates coders, possibly because he is a failed coder (the 2 things he is given credit for, GCC and eMacs, have both been forked AWAY from him with RMS having to "bless" the forks because his version is no longer used by anybody) but in any case he simply refuses to accept reality which is if most coders were to follow his "philosophy" as currently written they'd end up living under and overpass.

So that is why I don't like RMS, he is a hypocrite who will start talking about the "spirit" of GPL if you follow the actual license (you know, the entire reason licenses were written in the first place, so i wouldn't have to guess what you want?) but don't do exactly to suit him,actually names a clause in GPL V3 after a company he doesn't like which again simply followed his poorly written license (real professional, I'm sure that will make companies wan t to support FOSS to know if the "MIT Squatter" doesn't think they follow the "spirit" they could be named the bad guy in GPL V4) and because of the messed up way he has written his license you can ONLY survive using the "blessed three" model, selling hardware, selling software/services, or holding a tin cup and begging like a bum.

Posted by: blinux 2013-08-02 14:59:19 In reply to: hairyfeet
Even worse, he has the truly annoying habit of always being proven right.

About Tivo, about Java, about everything on which he's spoken authoritatively.

The only thing he's ever been wrong about is the "I won't talk to you unless you say GNU/Linux". That's just stupid. But when it comes to important stuff, the guy is always right.

People who have problems with "his" licenses have problems with the concept of copyright. Don't want to abide by the license? Fine. Then you have no extraordinary right to start using other people's copyrighted code. Just stop using it! The wonderful thing about the GPL is that if it's (theoretically) invalid, standard copyright applies. Lay off the code; it's not yours.

I don't much care about his bathing habits or his beard; his idea of enforcing shared software has worked brilliantly.

Posted by: hairyfeet 2013-08-02 15:59:07 In reply to: blinux
"All hail dear leader for he is never wrong!" except when he IS a giant hypocrite, but those don't count...right?

Again look up what he said on documentation to find him in full blown hypocrite mode, or just for fun type "RMS eats toe cheese" to see what kind of man you are defending, a guy that thinks its perfectly fine to clean and eat toe funk on the middle of a stage, during a conference being broadcast no less, frankly its a real shame I can't post links here as his being a hypocrite goes back a good 20+ years and is well documented.

At the end of the day I'll say that RMS is the best thing...that ever happened to Apple and MSFT, his antics in public, his hypocrisy, his extremist left wing rants (going so far as to pose with Castro and Chavez and talk about what utopias they had, i'm sure the guys being tortured there would disagree) and his attacks against companies that actually followed his license, which frankly he deserved the blame for writing poorly, all make him a perfect spokesman for the other two.

After all how hard a sell would it be when all they have to do is show some quotes and him eating toe gunk and say "THIS is the guy that is the one controlling GPL which in turn controls Linux" to make a company turn away?
Jump to:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ RSS
Where do you stand in the Net neutrality debate?
The FCC's plans to roll back the Net neutrality rules will be good for business.
The Internet is an essential utility, and all users should get equal access.
I oppose Net neutrality because I have conservative views.
I favor Net neutrality because I have liberal views.
The controversy is overblown -- the Internet will be fine either way.
I have no idea what Net neutrality means to me personally.
Content Marketing on ALL EC