Welcome Guest | Sign In
LinuxInsider.com

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: Unfaithfully Yours: The Linux Version

Re: Unfaithfully Yours: The Linux Version
Posted by: Katherine Noyes 2013-07-29 06:05:51
See Full Story

The dog days of summer may best be endured at a leisurely pace, but for those of us here in the sweltering Northern reaches of the Linux blogosphere, that simply hasn't been an option. Far from being the lazy month many typically expect, July has brought not only a fiery debate over codes of conduct among kernel programmers but also the launch of Canonical's ambitious Ubuntu Edge crowdfunding campaign -- followed immediately by a massive hack attack on the Ubuntu forums.

Posted by: kibert 2013-08-02 09:58:26 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
The reason for less distro-hopping?

While you weren't looking, most all Linux distros have morphed into the same thing.

There are a few unique ones which are worth having around, such a Puppy and Knoppix. All distros based on Ubuntu--except for Linux MINT--are going to go the same way as Ubuntu; and yes, I know Puppy and MINT are based on Ubuntu. For now.

Linux survivors will be SuSE, Red Hat/Fedora, MINT, and, of course, Debian (I'm certain I've forgotten two or three which ought to be here, but you get the idea).

The others will come, and then go. Maintaining a Linux distro adequately is not a pastime.

I suspect that most people have, like me, decided to jump off the distro-hopping mousewheel and have all their needs satisfied by choosing a GOOD LTS such as MINT 13, and simply updating it every so often when IT tells ME that new updates are available (sometimes I cheat by typing "sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" in the terminal window).

I like not having to think about upgrading to new distros except every five years. Don't you?

Posted by: linuxbookpro 2013-07-30 23:48:19 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
I enjoyed this article but wonder why a current distrohopper wasn't interviewed.

Distrohoppers are not all unfaithful, I personally contribute to various forums and have found that each distribution solves particular challenges in unique ways.

I enjoy tiny discovery every once and awhile.

Posted by: cirrus 2013-07-29 22:22:26 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
Har Har, now we know where the Ubuntu users are now congregating, given that their forums are still down. After reading this it would seem Ubuntu is as popular as ever, it looks like a modest percentage of Ubuntu users dont care that Shuttleworth does not give a hoot for them or their "community".
Great read as ever.
PS. I stopped distro bouncin last year when i found my Linux nirvana.

Posted by: blinux 2013-08-02 15:17:51 In reply to: cirrus
Okay, cirrus, what's your secret nirvana?

As a Linux newbie I am trying to settle on a reliable distribution, and I won't go near Ubuntu with a 10 foot pole. (Up until Unity it was the obvious choice.) Proprietary desktop, adware, give me a break. Mint blew it by abandoning KDE, so at this point I'm leaning towards Mageia.

Posted by: kenholmz 2013-07-29 17:05:41 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
Overall, a good read. However, when I see a hairyfeet quote, I do not think of Taco Bell. They do have more variety that the slop he serves up.
Jump to:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ RSS
What is the most consequential impact of social media on society today?
It has opened up valuable new channels for civil discourse.
It has destroyed the meaning of "truth" and "fact."
It has made people stronger by facilitating grass roots activism.
It has deepened divisions among groups with opposing views.
It has made it easier for people to support and help each other.
It has made it easier for people to humiliate and hurt each other.