Welcome Guest | Sign In
LinuxInsider.com

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: Who's Afraid of Linux Malware?

Re: Who's Afraid of Linux Malware?
Posted by: Katherine Noyes 2013-08-19 17:31:06
See Full Story

There once was a time when Windows users could feel relatively safe and secure as they made their online excursions around the World Wide Web. Those days ended relatively quickly, of course, followed soon afterwards by a similar waning of confidence on the Mac side. For those of us who prefer Linux, however, the Age of Innocence -- as one might call it -- has lasted much longer. Indeed, the recent discovery of the "Hand of Thief" Trojan has brought that fact to the forefront of many users' minds.

Posted by: Llewen 2013-08-23 10:01:18 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
I'm a huge Linux fan. I've run Linux servers for years, and I used to believe that Linux was an inherently more secure OS than Windows. Of course for years people who are into Microsoft's products have said that the only reason Linux had so few issues with malware was due to the fact that it had such a small market share in comparison.

I still think the Linux kernel and core apps, especially those with an enterprise orientation, are more secure than their Windows equivalents, but when you move from the command line to a gui all bets are off. What has happened with the Android OS has proven the supporters of Windows doomsayers to be at least partly right.

What has happened with Android should be a huge wake up call. There truly is no such thing as an invincible OS. It doesn't matter whether the development model is open or closed source, both have their security advantages and disadvantages. The price of freedom truly is eternal vigilance, and this applies to computing as much as it does to anything.

Posted by: cirrus 2013-08-20 16:49:22 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
++ What Linux Rants said, I disagree wholeheartedly with those who claim the more popular linux becomes then the more malware we will see, Linux IS especially popular on those machines that hold up large sections of the Internet, ask Google,Yahoo,Amazon,Facebook,The Stock exchange, to name but a few. Not to mention the lions share of mobile devices (tens of millions). Of course anything on a network can be exploited, but Linux will never be raped and pillaged the way Windows is. We can see the code we run, others are less fortunate.

Posted by: kibert 2013-08-19 17:50:03 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
I don't remember who said it, or exactly how it is phrased, but there's a quote out there, something like, "Anything built by a (wo)man can be understood and taken apart by a (wo)man)."

And, from John F. Kennedy:
"There are risks and costs to a program of action. But they are far less than the long-range risks and costs of comfortable inaction."

To put a little fear into the hearts of all you who are basking in a sense of false security:

There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING MAGIC about the Linux and UNIX operating systems which conveys upon them greater security than any other operating system.

The magic stopped when Merlin died.

--a guy who used to teach OS design.
Jump to:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ RSS
What is the most consequential impact of social media on society today?
It has opened up valuable new channels for civil discourse.
It has destroyed the meaning of "truth" and "fact."
It has made people stronger by facilitating grass roots activism.
It has deepened divisions among groups with opposing views.
It has made it easier for people to support and help each other.
It has made it easier for people to humiliate and hurt each other.