The largest repository of hacker activity and vulnerability data on display » Get the Report from HackerOne!
Welcome Guest | Sign In
LinuxInsider.com

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: Samsung to Give Linux Desktop Experience to Smartphone Users

Re: Samsung to Give Linux Desktop Experience to Smartphone Users
Posted by: David Jones 2017-10-19 17:29:13
See Full Story

Samsung on Thursday announced a new app, Linux on Galaxy, designed to work with its DeX docking station to bring a full Linux desktop experience to Galaxy Note8, Galaxy S8 and S8+ smartphone users. Samsung earlier this year introduced DeX, a docking station that connects to a monitor to give Galaxy smartphone users a desktop experience. With the Linux on Galaxy app, users will be able to run full Linux desktop distributions. The ability to run a Linux environment is "interesting at best," said Jitesh Ubrani, senior research analyst at IDC.

Posted by: eengnerd7 2017-10-30 08:36:00 In reply to: David Jones
The only reason I want Samsung to support Linux is that I want their phones NOT to use Android, but rather a secure pure Linux only on the phone! Adding an app to provide a Linux desktop experience is not at all what I want! And I don't think there's a single Linux fan who will disagree with me!

Posted by: Cacogen 2017-11-01 23:13:29 In reply to: eengnerd7
By the time you modify a "pure Linux" distribution to run usefully on a phone, you've probably just reinvented Android.
Jump to:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ RSS
Freshsales - Your salesforce deserves better CRM
What best describes your video-calling preferences?
I almost always prefer video calls over voice calls.
I think video calls are very useful for some business purposes.
I enjoy video calls with friends and family, but not with business associates or strangers.
They are nice if planned in advance -- I don't like spontaneous video calls.
I find it difficult to speak naturally on video calls.
I feel video calls are a huge invasion of privacy.
I have never tried video calling, and I probably won't.