Welcome Guest | Sign In
LinuxInsider.com

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: Samsung to Give Linux Desktop Experience to Smartphone Users

Re: Samsung to Give Linux Desktop Experience to Smartphone Users
Posted by: David Jones 2017-10-19 17:29:13
See Full Story

Samsung on Thursday announced a new app, Linux on Galaxy, designed to work with its DeX docking station to bring a full Linux desktop experience to Galaxy Note8, Galaxy S8 and S8+ smartphone users. Samsung earlier this year introduced DeX, a docking station that connects to a monitor to give Galaxy smartphone users a desktop experience. With the Linux on Galaxy app, users will be able to run full Linux desktop distributions. The ability to run a Linux environment is "interesting at best," said Jitesh Ubrani, senior research analyst at IDC.

Posted by: eengnerd7 2017-10-30 08:36:00 In reply to: David Jones
The only reason I want Samsung to support Linux is that I want their phones NOT to use Android, but rather a secure pure Linux only on the phone! Adding an app to provide a Linux desktop experience is not at all what I want! And I don't think there's a single Linux fan who will disagree with me!

Posted by: Cacogen 2017-11-01 23:13:29 In reply to: eengnerd7
By the time you modify a "pure Linux" distribution to run usefully on a phone, you've probably just reinvented Android.
Jump to:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ RSS
What is the most consequential impact of social media on society today?
It has opened up valuable new channels for civil discourse.
It has destroyed the meaning of "truth" and "fact."
It has made people stronger by facilitating grass roots activism.
It has deepened divisions among groups with opposing views.
It has made it easier for people to support and help each other.
It has made it easier for people to humiliate and hurt each other.