Welcome Guest | Sign In
LinuxInsider.com

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: SoftMaker for Linux Is a Solid Microsoft Office Alternative

Re: SoftMaker for Linux Is a Solid Microsoft Office Alternative
Posted by: Jack M. Germain 2017-12-27 11:43:49
See Full Story

SoftMaker Office could be a first-class professional-strength replacement for Microsoft Office on the Linux desktop. The Linux OS has its share of lightweight word processors and a few nearly worthy standalone spreadsheet apps, but very few high-end integrated office suites exist for Linux users. Generally, Linux office suites lack a really solid slide presentation creation tool. Most Linux users opt for LibreOffice -- or maybe the withering OpenOffice -- or online subscriptions to Microsoft Office through Web browser apps.

Posted by: therapon 2018-01-08 07:55:24 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure linux version of SoftOffice 2016 supports MDI and FreeOffice 2016 does not. From a daily user standpoint, that is a fairly significant difference. It will be interesting to see if the 2018 versions follow the same pattern.

Posted by: bcatalin 2018-01-02 22:57:28 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
As a Linux user I do not see me using this suite because it seems it will not be FOSS. On Windows, sure, I will give it a try as recently Microsoft products started to have a poor performance and the testing before release is almost non-existent.

If I learned one thing when switching from Windows to Linux is that FOSS is the way to go and closed source software should be used when there is no other alternative.

Posted by: darkoverlordofdata 2017-12-28 09:51:20 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
Not. I just installed on Ubuntu and it doesn't work. I tried the android version it didn't work either. This is a waste of time.

Posted by: jymm 2017-12-28 03:23:26 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
While I use LibreOffice myself, I have noticed from the comments that people that work with a lot of MS documents prefer SoftMaker/FreeOffice over LibreOffice. Those that don't work with a lot of MS documents prefer LibreOffice.
Jump to:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ RSS
Of the following CES 2018 crowd pleasers, which do you consider the most important or desirable new tech?
Google Assistant -- voice-activated AI on displays everywhere
Helite's Hip'Air - a hip-protecting airbag belt for seniors
HTC Vive Pro - a VR headset with way better resolution and sound
Samsung's 'The Wall' - a modular TV with MicroLED for consumers
Sony's Aibo -- a lovable AI-powered robotic pet dog
Toyota's e-Palette -- a self-driving van for deliveries and more